Sunday, March 26, 2023

Tasting - Spring Break 6-wine tasting

 This isn't the typical format for a wine tasting for Dr. Boyer - just trying to get credit for doing a tasting. And tbh I feel like the current tasting vs chees/wine pair vs wine dinner options are a little rigid for all the ways you can taste wine.

I went to The Georgia Tasting Room in Savannah, GA. Bartender was really chill, talked about his photography side hustle and growing up in Atlanta while he was pouring the tasting.

Tried 6 wines, took brief notes on each and ended up purchasing the Riesling as a birthday present for my sister.

I am realizing now that the photo I took of the menu did not in fact list what winery and what year each wine was from haha. I took some notes on my phone which helped me piece together some of the missing bits.

The wines I tried (in order):

Pinot Grigio (Asheville NC): 

Riesling (Asheville NC): 

Biltmore 2020 Pinot Noir (Asheville NC): more tannic than the Forsyth

Forsyth Pinot Noir (Savannah GA): Lighter color than the Biltmoresulfury on the nose, which has been a persistent problem over spring break with the water. Tap water out on Tybee island was so sulfury that I couldn't drink it. Wonder if that same character tranferred to the wine from the local water? Definitely dry mouthfeel, strawberry and raspberry flavors. 

Chateau Elan 2022 Velvet Reserve (Braselton GA): Very sweet and VERY tannic. Feel like it is rare to get those two extremes in one wine. I picked up on the oak! first time I think I can say that I noticed the oak flavor.

Chateau Elan Sparkling Moscato (Braselton GA):


Notes:

Forsyth sulfury, definitely dry

Other Pinot very much more tannin

Velvet sweet and VERY tannic


Image of the menu, blue circles are the ones I tasted

Chateau Elan Velvet Reserve (left), Chateau Elan Sparkling Moscato (right)

Biltmore Pinot Noir (left), Forsyth Pinot Noir (right)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting - I went to the wine lab again

 Okay... I went to the wine lab with my girlfriend and didn't take notes at all because we were chatting and playing chess. gimme some c...