Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Tasting - Sangue Di Giuda

 First tasting with fellows in the class - thank you to Jackson and Emily for sharing the wine!

Had to walk 5 minutes from my house through the arctic tundra to taste this thing, which may have affected my olfactory capabilities.

Terra's 2018 Sangue Di Giuda dell’Oltrepo Pavese, from Lombardy, Italy. Cost appx $13.00. 6% ABV
Blend wasn't listed on the bottle, but Sangue Di Giuda dell’Oltrepo Pavese is shown online as having roughly 45% Croatina, 45% Barbera, 5% Ughetta, and 5% Uva Rara.

No specific page in Wine Folly for this, but it is mentioned on the Sparkling Red Wine page similar to Lambrusco and Brachetto d’Acqui. Both those wines get credited for tasting like blueberry/raspberry/strawberry/blackberry in differing amounts.

Smell: couldn't smell much, maybe it is just low in odor or my nose was affected by the cold walk? Does lower alcohol affect smell? Does sparkling increase smell?

Taste: Sweet, not tannic. Only about the front 10% of my tongue felt the tannin character. Slightly carbonated, felt like much smaller bubbles than most beer or sodas, and even smaller than other sparkling wines I have had. Consistent with an the online reviews, I could identify blueberry/jam hints, maybe currants too.

Look: dark red, small columns of carbonation visible after pouring.

After main tasting, had a small piece of Ghiradelli 86% chocolate with it. Chocolate had little flavor to me, but felt very buttery and smooth. The already low sour character of the wine was further decreased by the chocolate.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting - I went to the wine lab again

 Okay... I went to the wine lab with my girlfriend and didn't take notes at all because we were chatting and playing chess. gimme some c...